New Delhi, July 19 Thousands of Indian MPs and assembly members representing Thursday began casting their votes to choose a new president. It is a direct contest between ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee and opposition-backed Purno Sangma.
Voting to choose the 13th president started simultaneously at national and state capitals.
The electoral college has 4,100 assembly members and 776 members of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
In Delhi, polling began at 10 a.m. at Room No 63 of Parliament House. Arrangements for state legislators to vote have been made at assembly buildings in every state capital.
Polling will continue till 5 p.m.
The votes will be counted Sunday, three days before President Pratibha Patil five year tenure ends.
- A popular touch to President Pranab’s At Home reception
- Pranab in UP Tuesday to canvass for presidential poll
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election
- Pranab Right Choice But…: CRUCIAL ISSUES REMAIN UNANSWERED…
- UPA will shortly decide on presidential candidate: Pranab
- Committed to food security law: UPA
- UPA made growth more inclusive: PM
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee, during the swearing-in-ceremony of the CAG of India Shashi Kant Sharma
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee, the President, Mohd. Hamid Ansari, the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh and other dignitaries at the Sarva Dharma Prarthana Sabha, at the Samadhi of former Prime Minister, Late Rajiv Gandhi
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee awarding the LPU’s 1st Honorary Doctorate Degree to the President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai