New Delhi, Aug 9 President Pranab Mukherjee congratulated Mary Kom on winning the bronze medal in women’s boxing at 2012 London Olympics.
“I am extremely delighted to know that you (Kom) have won the bronze medal in Women’s Boxing in the fly-weight 51kg at the London Olympics,” Mukherjee said in a statement.
“This is a great achievement and should inspire women as well sportspersons throughout the nation,” the statement read.
“I would like to extend to you (Kom) my congratulations and best wishes for further success,” it added.
Mary Kom created history by becoming the country’s first woman boxer to win a medal at the Olympics.
Mary Kom, however, Wednesday had to settle for the bronze as she went down fighting in her 51kg semi-final bout against local favourite Nicola Adams.
The 29-year-old Manipuri also became only the second Indian boxer after Vijender Singh to win an Olympic medal. Vijender got a bronze in Beijing fours years ago.
Buoyed by the presence of British Prime Minister David Cameron and star professional boxer Amir Khan, second-seed Nicola put on a flawless performance while beating the Indian 11-6 at the packed ExCel Arena.
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee awarding the LPU’s 1st Honorary Doctorate Degree to the President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee, The President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai and other dignitaries at the 3rd Convocation of Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- President calls for increasing expenditure on research
- President of India attends the golden jubilee ceremony of IIFT
- ONGC secures SCOPE Gold Trophy for Corporate Social Responsibility
- President, Pranab Mukherjee presenting the trophy, conferring Maharatna status on BHEL, to B. Prasada Rao, CMD, BHEL
- President of India inaugurates 42nd IFTDO World Conference & Exhibition
- President bemoans ‘repeated failure’ to ensure women’s security
- B. Prasada Rao, CMD, BHEL receiving the AIMA Managing India Award from the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee inspecting the guard of honour, during his Ceremonial Reception on his arrival at Port Louis airport, Mauritius on March 11, 2013.