New Delhi, July 22 ‘Motichoor laddoos’, ‘malai kulhars’ and the evergreen ‘sandesh’….sweets were being distrubuted galore Sunday after Pranab Mukherjee was elected president of India.
The supporters had begun celebrating early in the day in anticipation of his expected victory. Besides the sweets, the supporters who had gathered at his house were treated to ‘khasta kachoris’, ‘dahi bhallas’ and ‘idli sambhar’.
All the savouries at his House No. 13 on Talkatora Road in central Delhi, came from Bangla Sweet House and Kaleva Sweets, both popular shops in the Gole Market nearby.
While the shopowners refused to give out the quantity of sweets delivered at Mukherjee’s house, Kaleva’s owner Jawahar Lal expressed his satisfaction at being the preferred supplier of sweets for the president-elect, who is himself said to be a sweets lover.
“More than the awards and laurels, its the satisfaction of knowing that he (Mukherjee) preferred us for getting his sweets, which is important for us,” he said.
- Pranab, a strong partner to America: Hillary Clinton
- Kolkata celebrates as Pranab becomes president
- The President-elect, Pranab Mukherjee paying floral tributes at the Samadhi of Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat, in Delhi
- The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh alongwith other dignitaries with the President-elect, Pranab Mukherjee, in New Delhi on July 22, 2012.
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee, during the swearing-in-ceremony of the CAG of India Shashi Kant Sharma
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee, the President, Mohd. Hamid Ansari, the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh and other dignitaries at the Sarva Dharma Prarthana Sabha, at the Samadhi of former Prime Minister, Late Rajiv Gandhi
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee awarding the LPU’s 1st Honorary Doctorate Degree to the President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee, The President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai and other dignitaries at the 3rd Convocation of Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurating the Grass-roots Innovation Exhibition
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee and other dignitaries at the ‘Technology Day 2013’ Celebrations, in New Delhi.