New Delhi, Aug 11
The Department of Telecom (DoT) is examining a proposal to merge state-run firms ITI and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to make them more competitive, the Lok sabha was informed Wednesday.
“The recommendations of the Board for Reconstruction of Public Sector Enterprises (BRPSE) are being examined by a committee constituted by DoT, headed by member (services), Telecom,” Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply in the house.
The BRPSE, a government body, made the recommendation in 2010 regarding the merger of telecom manufacturing unit ITI and MTNL with BSNL.
At the Bombay Stock Exchange, while the shares of MTNL closed 8.91 percent up at Rs.43.40, those of ITI closed 10.91 percent up at Rs.26.95.
- September 25, 2013 BSNL, MTNL join hands to offer better services
- August 20, 2011 ‘MTNL sharing infrastructure with private operators’
- January 14, 2014 Don’t make BSNL-MTNL mandatory for government offices, staff: COAI
- December 26, 2013 Cabinet okays disbursement of pensionary benefit to MTNL employees
- April 27, 2012 BSNL borrowed Rs.1,320.47 crore for capital expenditure
- August 25, 2011 Airtel pays Rs.1,177.5 crore licence, spectrum charges
- August 21, 2014 Cabinet approves mobile phone towers in 10 extremist-hit states
- August 14, 2014 MTNL posts Rs.733 crore net loss in Q1
- July 21, 2014 Improving BSNL’s functioning a priority: Centre
- June 7, 2014 BSNL unveils ‘smart phone’ for common man
- March 18, 2014 Landline subscribers shrank 0.59 percent in January
- December 12, 2013 Government got Rs.13,214.50 crore revenue from telcos till October
- December 5, 2013 The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh lighting the lamp to inaugurate the ‘India Telecom 2013’, in New Delhi on December 05, 2013.
- November 30, 2013 BSNL launches Rs.1,799 ‘Bharat Phone’ with Pantel
- September 12, 2013 Traders to hone IT skills
- December 13, 2012 The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh inaugurating the India Telecom 2012, in New Delhi on December 13, 2012.
- October 31, 2012 3 minister of state portfolios changes
- September 6, 2012 Union Minister for Human Resource Development and Communications and Information Technology, Kapil Sibal lighting the lamp at the ‘Curtain Raiser Ceremony’
- January 9, 2012 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability
- November 28, 2011 Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms
- November 28, 2011 Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT
- November 19, 2011 Draft National Telecom Policy hints at a progressive policy: KPMG
- November 10, 2011 4G services: TRAI extends time for sending views
- October 23, 2011 King of Bhutan, His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck being welcomed by the Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology, Milind Deora
- September 21, 2011 ‘Spectrum could have been auctioned if Chidambaram wanted’
- August 30, 2011 Telecom revolution has bypassed villagers: Sibal
- August 25, 2011 Rs.5,434.5 crore FDI in telecom sector
- July 27, 2013 CWC Contributes Rs.100 Lakh To Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund
- July 9, 2014 Economic Survey Projects GDP growth at 5.9% for 2014-15
- April 18, 2012 Minister for Human Resource Development and Communications and Information Technology, Kapil Sibal lighting the lamp to inaugurate the World IT Forum (WITFOR) 2012