New Delhi, Aug 11
The Department of Telecom (DoT) is examining a proposal to merge state-run firms ITI and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to make them more competitive, the Lok sabha was informed Wednesday.
“The recommendations of the Board for Reconstruction of Public Sector Enterprises (BRPSE) are being examined by a committee constituted by DoT, headed by member (services), Telecom,” Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply in the house.
The BRPSE, a government body, made the recommendation in 2010 regarding the merger of telecom manufacturing unit ITI and MTNL with BSNL.
At the Bombay Stock Exchange, while the shares of MTNL closed 8.91 percent up at Rs.43.40, those of ITI closed 10.91 percent up at Rs.26.95.
- BSNL, MTNL join hands to offer better services
- ‘MTNL sharing infrastructure with private operators’
- Airtel pays Rs.1,177.5 crore licence, spectrum charges
- Don’t make BSNL-MTNL mandatory for government offices, staff: COAI
- BSNL borrowed Rs.1,320.47 crore for capital expenditure
- Cabinet okays disbursement of pensionary benefit to MTNL employees
- Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms
- Government got Rs.13,214.50 crore revenue from telcos till October
- Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT
- Rs.5,434.5 crore FDI in telecom sector
- Landline subscribers shrank 0.59 percent in January
- Draft National Telecom Policy hints at a progressive policy: KPMG
- 4G services: TRAI extends time for sending views
- BSNL unveils ‘smart phone’ for common man
- Telecom revolution has bypassed villagers: Sibal
- The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh lighting the lamp to inaugurate the ‘India Telecom 2013’, in New Delhi on December 05, 2013.
- The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh inaugurating the India Telecom 2012, in New Delhi on December 13, 2012.
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development and Communications and Information Technology, Kapil Sibal lighting the lamp at the ‘Curtain Raiser Ceremony’
- 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability
- BSNL launches Rs.1,799 ‘Bharat Phone’ with Pantel
- King of Bhutan, His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck being welcomed by the Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology, Milind Deora
- Traders to hone IT skills
- 3 minister of state portfolios changes
- ‘Spectrum could have been auctioned if Chidambaram wanted’
- Telecom Commission undecided on mergers, spectrum fee
- Vodafone seeks allocation of spectrum
- Reliance Communications unit files paper for Singapore IPO
- COAI concerned over spectrum usage charges after pre-bid meet
- Telecom tribunal allows 3G roaming deals
- DoT issues telecom M&A guidelines