New Delhi, Aug 11
The Department of Telecom (DoT) is examining a proposal to merge state-run firms ITI and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to make them more competitive, the Lok sabha was informed Wednesday.
“The recommendations of the Board for Reconstruction of Public Sector Enterprises (BRPSE) are being examined by a committee constituted by DoT, headed by member (services), Telecom,” Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora said in a written reply in the house.
The BRPSE, a government body, made the recommendation in 2010 regarding the merger of telecom manufacturing unit ITI and MTNL with BSNL.
At the Bombay Stock Exchange, while the shares of MTNL closed 8.91 percent up at Rs.43.40, those of ITI closed 10.91 percent up at Rs.26.95.
- September 25, 2013 BSNL, MTNL join hands to offer better services
- August 20, 2011 ‘MTNL sharing infrastructure with private operators’
- August 25, 2011 Airtel pays Rs.1,177.5 crore licence, spectrum charges
- January 14, 2014 Don’t make BSNL-MTNL mandatory for government offices, staff: COAI
- April 27, 2012 BSNL borrowed Rs.1,320.47 crore for capital expenditure
- December 26, 2013 Cabinet okays disbursement of pensionary benefit to MTNL employees
- November 28, 2011 Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms
- December 12, 2013 Government got Rs.13,214.50 crore revenue from telcos till October
- November 28, 2011 Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT
- August 25, 2011 Rs.5,434.5 crore FDI in telecom sector
- March 18, 2014 Landline subscribers shrank 0.59 percent in January
- November 10, 2011 4G services: TRAI extends time for sending views
- November 19, 2011 Draft National Telecom Policy hints at a progressive policy: KPMG
- July 21, 2014 Improving BSNL’s functioning a priority: Centre
- June 7, 2014 BSNL unveils ‘smart phone’ for common man
- August 30, 2011 Telecom revolution has bypassed villagers: Sibal
- December 5, 2013 The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh lighting the lamp to inaugurate the ‘India Telecom 2013’, in New Delhi on December 05, 2013.
- September 6, 2012 Union Minister for Human Resource Development and Communications and Information Technology, Kapil Sibal lighting the lamp at the ‘Curtain Raiser Ceremony’
- December 13, 2012 The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh inaugurating the India Telecom 2012, in New Delhi on December 13, 2012.
- January 9, 2012 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability
- November 30, 2013 BSNL launches Rs.1,799 ‘Bharat Phone’ with Pantel
- October 23, 2011 King of Bhutan, His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck being welcomed by the Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology, Milind Deora
- September 12, 2013 Traders to hone IT skills
- October 31, 2012 3 minister of state portfolios changes
- September 21, 2011 ‘Spectrum could have been auctioned if Chidambaram wanted’
- December 2, 2011 Telecom Commission undecided on mergers, spectrum fee
- February 4, 2013 Vodafone seeks allocation of spectrum
- July 6, 2012 Reliance Communications unit files paper for Singapore IPO
- April 30, 2014 Telecom tribunal allows 3G roaming deals
- December 21, 2013 COAI concerned over spectrum usage charges after pre-bid meet