New Delhi, Dec 13 The cabinet cleared the Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill, 2011, that provides for consent of 80 percent of affected land owners if the land is to be acquired by private players.
“The cabinet has approved the Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation and Resettlement Bill…the amendments approved by the cabinet will be tabled in parliament,” Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told reporters after the cabinet meeting.
The meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The bill also provides for assent of 70 percent of affected land owners in case of land acquisition by a public-private partnership project.
According to a clause, if the acquired land is lying unutilised for five years, then the take-over will lapse.
Further, under the restrospective clause in cases where the compensation for land acquired has been awarded, the rules of the old act would apply but in cases where compensation has not been awarded, the provisions of the new bill would become effective, said informed sources.
According to the sources, the government included the clause to take consent from 80 percent land owners for purchase of land to set up private projects on the suggestion of United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
Earlier, a Group of Ministers on the bill had suggested that consent of 67 percent of land losers would be enough for acquiring land.
The GoM was constituted as many cabinet members had earlier expressed reservations on certain provisions of the bill.
The Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi had provided inputs in the framing of the bill, said the sources.
- May 3, 2014 Prasar Bharati CEO takes on Tewari, admits Modi interview edited
- February 25, 2014 Magazines should strengthen presence in digital, new media: Tewari
- January 10, 2014 Cabinet approves regulatory framework for TV rating agencies
- December 31, 2013 Manish Tewari denies reports on PM resigning
- August 19, 2013 Media has become a business: Manish Tewari
- July 11, 2013 Transport body for NCR to be set up
- July 11, 2013 Income criteria relaxed for ST scholarships
- May 8, 2013 Himachal seeks 5,000 direct-to-home TV sets
- November 10, 2014 Arun Jaitley takes charge as I&B minister
- June 20, 2014 Third phase of radio licensing soon: Javadekar
- June 20, 2014 Government assures stable policy regime for media
- June 10, 2014 Central Law Against Attacks on Scribes Soon – Prakash Javadekar
- June 7, 2014 Many plans to increase connectivity with northeast: Javadekar
- May 19, 2014 Resignation not the way forward: Manish Tewari
- May 5, 2014 The President, Pranab Mukherjee presenting the Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2013 to Gulzar, the veteran film lyricist
- May 5, 2014 The President, Pranab Mukherjee at the 61st National Film Awards function, in New Delhi on May 03, 2014.
- March 6, 2014 The MoS (IC) for Information & Broadcasting, Shri Manish Tewari meeting the US delegation including US Ambassador, Nancy J. Powell
- January 3, 2014 The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh addressing a press conference
- December 31, 2013 The MoS (IC) for Information & Broadcasting, Manish Tewari releasing the official calendar 2014, brought out by the DAVP
- September 30, 2013 New land act not anti-industry: Jairam Ramesh
- September 14, 2013 The MoS (IC) for Information & Broadcasting, Manish Tewari and the Japanese Minister of Economy, Trade & Industry, Toshimitsu Motegi
- September 9, 2013 The Minister of State (IC) for Information & Broadcasting, Manish Tewari launching the Bharat Nirman Online Portal,
- September 9, 2013 Land acquisition law will spike costs, delay projects: Experts
- September 9, 2013 Rapid Fire Bills & RBI Chief: LITTLE IMPACT ON ECONOMY, RUPEE…
- September 6, 2013 Parliament passes land acquisition bill
- July 22, 2013 ONGC receives ‘Golden Peacock Award – 2013’
- July 22, 2013 The MoS (IC) for Information & Broadcasting, Manish Tewari laying the foundation stone of road under PMGSY
- June 19, 2013 The MoS (IC) for Information & Broadcasting, Manish Tewari, at the inaugural ceremony of the Chinese Film Festival 2013.
- May 11, 2013 The MoS (IC) for Information & Broadcasting, Manish Tewari presenting the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for Lifetime Achievement to Veteran Actor Pran Kishan Sikand
- February 12, 2013 Centre to give Rs.100 crore for community radio stations