Dhaka, Aug 29
India’s National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon has held comprehensive talks with top Bangladeshi officials ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Sep 6-7 visit here.
Menon, who arrived here Sunday, held talks with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s Economic Affairs Adviser Mashiur Rahman and International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi.
the Daily Star quoted sources as saying that they deliberated upon the agreements to be signed during Manmohan Singh’s Dhaka visit.
Dhaka and New Delhi are expected to sign about a dozen accords in areas including water sharing, usage of seaports, connectivity, import of electricity and land boundary.
Menon is here to fine-tune the agreements and the agenda of the summit, said diplomatic sources.
The two countries are giving final touches to around a dozen agreements and Memoranda of Understanding (MoU).
Manmohan Singh arrives in Dhaka Sep 6 noon and leaves the next evening.
The media report said Manmohan Singh’s trip would be the first fullfledged visit since Indira Gandhi visited Bangladesh in 1970s.
After Indira Gandhi’s visit, Indian prime ministers Rajiv Gandhi, Chandra Shekhar, P.V. Narasimha Rao, Inder Kumar Gujral and Manmohan Singh came to Bangladesh only to attend SAARC summits, India-Bangladesh-Pakistan business summit or to visit flood and cyclone-ravaged areas.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee visited Bangladesh for a few hours to launch the Dhaka-Kolkata bus service in July 1999.
- Manmohan’s Dhaka visit: Transit, ports, border key issues
- Kerry expresses regret over Indian diplomat’s treatment
- PM seeks Mamata’s help to sign Teesta pact with Bangladesh
- PM’s Dhaka visit: Teesta didn’t happen, but a lot else did
- Dhaka to host Indian business team next month
- `Manmohan’s trip to be turning point in Delhi-Dhaka ties’
- Manmohan Singh arrives in Dhaka
- Bangladesh wants more water accords with India
- India, Bangladesh must aid each other’s development: President
- Tripura welcomes investment from Bangladesh: Chief Minister
- India, Bangladesh to ease travel on Maitree Express
- Bangladesh reaffirms ‘zero tolerance’ for anti-India activities
- India, Bangladesh agree on new architecture for partnership
- Bangladesh opposition’s senior leader held over violence
- Power Grid put up an Exhibition stall in “The India Show” at Dhaka in Bangladesh organized by FICCI
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee being welcomed by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee being presented the Bangladesh Liberation War Honour by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman,
- The Prime Minster of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina calling on the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee
- Energy cooperation begins between India and Bangladesh
- The Secretary, Ministry of Textiles, Zohra Chatterjee and the Sr. Secretary, Textiles, Bangladesh, Ashraful Moqbul
- India, Bangladesh heading for exciting beginning: Envoy
- Foreign Minister, Bangladesh, Dr. Dipu Moni meeting the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, in New Delhi
- No wish to interfere, but hope Bangladesh overcomes differences, says India
- The Minister of Home Affairs, Bangladesh, Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir meeting the Union Home Minister, Sushil Kumar Shinde
- ADB gives $300 mn loan to Bangladesh
- ‘India, Bangladesh should join hands to manage floods’
- Mamata spoilt ties with neighbouring states, Bangladesh: Left
- Bangladesh signs rail restoration deal with Indian firm
- India, Bangladesh start joint study to boost border trade
- NTPC to maintain its stature with quality and quick delivery