Dhaka, Aug 29
India’s National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon has held comprehensive talks with top Bangladeshi officials ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Sep 6-7 visit here.
Menon, who arrived here Sunday, held talks with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s Economic Affairs Adviser Mashiur Rahman and International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi.
the Daily Star quoted sources as saying that they deliberated upon the agreements to be signed during Manmohan Singh’s Dhaka visit.
Dhaka and New Delhi are expected to sign about a dozen accords in areas including water sharing, usage of seaports, connectivity, import of electricity and land boundary.
Menon is here to fine-tune the agreements and the agenda of the summit, said diplomatic sources.
The two countries are giving final touches to around a dozen agreements and Memoranda of Understanding (MoU).
Manmohan Singh arrives in Dhaka Sep 6 noon and leaves the next evening.
The media report said Manmohan Singh’s trip would be the first fullfledged visit since Indira Gandhi visited Bangladesh in 1970s.
After Indira Gandhi’s visit, Indian prime ministers Rajiv Gandhi, Chandra Shekhar, P.V. Narasimha Rao, Inder Kumar Gujral and Manmohan Singh came to Bangladesh only to attend SAARC summits, India-Bangladesh-Pakistan business summit or to visit flood and cyclone-ravaged areas.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee visited Bangladesh for a few hours to launch the Dhaka-Kolkata bus service in July 1999.
- August 30, 2011 Manmohan’s Dhaka visit: Transit, ports, border key issues
- September 25, 2014 Bangladesh to restore abandoned railway linkages with India
- September 10, 2014 The Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan addressing at the 32nd meeting of the Ministers of Health of WHO
- September 9, 2014 The Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan meeting the Health Minister of Nepal, Khagaraj Adhikari, at Dhaka
- July 29, 2014 Tripura to get rice from Andhra Pradesh via Bangladesh Thursday
- July 24, 2014 Government says no gas from KG-D6 going to Bangladesh
- July 14, 2014 India, Bangladesh can supply shopping bags to the world: Jute Commissioner
- June 12, 2014 Bangladesh allows transit of foodgrain to northeast India
- June 11, 2014 China, Bangladesh pledge to build economic corridor
- June 3, 2014 New road to connect north Bengal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Nepal: Mamata
- May 21, 2014 India, Bangladesh set up border markets
- April 22, 2014 Hero MotoCorp enters Bangladesh
- March 20, 2014 Bangladesh searches Bay of Bengal for missing airliner
- March 4, 2014 Bangladesh wants more water accords with India
- February 15, 2014 Mamata spoilt ties with neighbouring states, Bangladesh: Left
- January 30, 2014 India, Bangladesh heading for exciting beginning: Envoy
- January 1, 2014 No wish to interfere, but hope Bangladesh overcomes differences, says India
- December 31, 2013 Bangladesh opposition’s senior leader held over violence
- November 7, 2013 NTPC to maintain its stature with quality and quick delivery
- September 3, 2013 Pakistan urges D-8 countries to cooperate on energy
- August 19, 2013 The Secretary, Ministry of Textiles, Zohra Chatterjee and the Sr. Secretary, Textiles, Bangladesh, Ashraful Moqbul
- July 22, 2013 Bangladesh sets $30.5 bln export target for 2013-14
- June 22, 2013 India, Bangladesh must aid each other’s development: President
- June 3, 2013 ‘India, Bangladesh should join hands to manage floods’
- March 6, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee being presented the Bangladesh Liberation War Honour by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman,
- March 4, 2013 The Prime Minster of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina calling on the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee
- March 4, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee being welcomed by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman
- December 12, 2012 Power Grid put up an Exhibition stall in “The India Show” at Dhaka in Bangladesh organized by FICCI
- December 5, 2012 The Minister of Home Affairs, Bangladesh, Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir meeting the Union Home Minister, Sushil Kumar Shinde
- June 11, 2012 India, Bangladesh start joint study to boost border trade