Dhaka, Aug 29
India’s National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon has held comprehensive talks with top Bangladeshi officials ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Sep 6-7 visit here.
Menon, who arrived here Sunday, held talks with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s Economic Affairs Adviser Mashiur Rahman and International Affairs Adviser Gowher Rizvi.
the Daily Star quoted sources as saying that they deliberated upon the agreements to be signed during Manmohan Singh’s Dhaka visit.
Dhaka and New Delhi are expected to sign about a dozen accords in areas including water sharing, usage of seaports, connectivity, import of electricity and land boundary.
Menon is here to fine-tune the agreements and the agenda of the summit, said diplomatic sources.
The two countries are giving final touches to around a dozen agreements and Memoranda of Understanding (MoU).
Manmohan Singh arrives in Dhaka Sep 6 noon and leaves the next evening.
The media report said Manmohan Singh’s trip would be the first fullfledged visit since Indira Gandhi visited Bangladesh in 1970s.
After Indira Gandhi’s visit, Indian prime ministers Rajiv Gandhi, Chandra Shekhar, P.V. Narasimha Rao, Inder Kumar Gujral and Manmohan Singh came to Bangladesh only to attend SAARC summits, India-Bangladesh-Pakistan business summit or to visit flood and cyclone-ravaged areas.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee visited Bangladesh for a few hours to launch the Dhaka-Kolkata bus service in July 1999.
- August 30, 2011 Manmohan’s Dhaka visit: Transit, ports, border key issues
- December 19, 2013 Kerry expresses regret over Indian diplomat’s treatment
- September 28, 2011 PM seeks Mamata’s help to sign Teesta pact with Bangladesh
- September 8, 2011 PM’s Dhaka visit: Teesta didn’t happen, but a lot else did
- September 4, 2011 Dhaka to host Indian business team next month
- September 5, 2011 `Manmohan’s trip to be turning point in Delhi-Dhaka ties’
- September 6, 2011 Manmohan Singh arrives in Dhaka
- March 4, 2014 Bangladesh wants more water accords with India
- June 22, 2013 India, Bangladesh must aid each other’s development: President
- January 19, 2012 Tripura welcomes investment from Bangladesh: Chief Minister
- May 10, 2012 India, Bangladesh to ease travel on Maitree Express
- November 21, 2011 Bangladesh reaffirms ‘zero tolerance’ for anti-India activities
- September 7, 2011 India, Bangladesh agree on new architecture for partnership
- March 2, 2012 Energy cooperation begins between India and Bangladesh
- March 4, 2013 The Prime Minster of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina calling on the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee
- December 31, 2013 Bangladesh opposition’s senior leader held over violence
- December 12, 2012 Power Grid put up an Exhibition stall in “The India Show” at Dhaka in Bangladesh organized by FICCI
- March 6, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee being presented the Bangladesh Liberation War Honour by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman,
- March 4, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee being welcomed by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman
- July 24, 2014 Government says no gas from KG-D6 going to Bangladesh
- May 9, 2012 Foreign Minister, Bangladesh, Dr. Dipu Moni meeting the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, in New Delhi
- August 19, 2013 The Secretary, Ministry of Textiles, Zohra Chatterjee and the Sr. Secretary, Textiles, Bangladesh, Ashraful Moqbul
- January 30, 2014 India, Bangladesh heading for exciting beginning: Envoy
- May 21, 2014 India, Bangladesh set up border markets
- July 14, 2014 India, Bangladesh can supply shopping bags to the world: Jute Commissioner
- January 1, 2014 No wish to interfere, but hope Bangladesh overcomes differences, says India
- December 5, 2012 The Minister of Home Affairs, Bangladesh, Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir meeting the Union Home Minister, Sushil Kumar Shinde
- August 11, 2011 ADB gives $300 mn loan to Bangladesh
- February 15, 2014 Mamata spoilt ties with neighbouring states, Bangladesh: Left
- June 3, 2013 ‘India, Bangladesh should join hands to manage floods’