Kolkata, April 2 Defending the proposed amendment of the Income Tax (IT) Act with retrospective effect, union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said India cannot be a tax haven.
“India is not a no-tax country; it has a determined tax rate. Our country is not and cannot be a tax haven. If you pay tax in your country of origin, you don’t have to pay tax, if we have double taxation agreement with your country of origin,” Mukherjee said here at an interactive session organised by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce.
“The proposed amendment aims to ensure there is no double taxation,” added Mukherjee.
Allaying apprehension regarding the retrospective effect of the proposed amendment, he said: “It does not mean all cases will be reopened from 1961 and 1962 when the IT Act came into force. There is no reason for being apprehensive about the proposed law.”
As per the IT Act, the government cannot reopen tax cases beyond six years.
The proposed IT amendment aims at taxing overseas mergers and acquisition relating to domestic assets with retrospective effect. The proposed changes in the I-T Act evoked sharp reactions from industry which argued that the move will hurt foreign investment.
The proposed amendment comes in the wake of the Vodafone case where the Supreme Court Jan 20 dismissed a $2.2 billion tax demand from authorities raised over the British company’s acquisition of Hutchison’s Indian mobile assets in 2007.
- June 12, 2012 Economy will turn around in 2012-13: Pranab
- August 19, 2011 India amending double taxation avoidance accord: Pranab
- August 26, 2013 Government sets up tax reform commission
- October 22, 2013 India sets up panel to review tax policies
- May 28, 2012 Direct taxes should be 12 percent of GDP: Mukherjee
- June 8, 2012 Pranab mulls special package for northeast
- July 31, 2013 Income tax returns filing deadline extended to Aug 5
- August 17, 2011 India’s tax departments go green
- June 12, 2012 The Union Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee addressing the Chief Executive Officers of Public Sector Banks and Financial Institutions, in New Delhi on June 12, 2012.
- April 28, 2012 Union Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee unveiling the Logo “Web of Life”
- June 27, 2012 The Union Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee with the staff, on the last day in his office, in New Delhi on June 26, 2012.
- September 6, 2013 Direct tax collection up 14 percent in April-August period
- January 9, 2012 NDTV Business Leadership Award to NTPC
- May 30, 2012 Rs.35,000 crore loan restructuring for textiles industry
- April 13, 2012 Fiscal Deficit: CAN FM TACKLE CHALLENGE? …
- August 20, 2011 PSU stake sale only when markets right: Mukherjee
- April 11, 2012 Norwegian Minister of Trade and Industry, Trand Giske calls on the Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee
- May 4, 2012 Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee arrives at Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Manila, Philippines to attend the 45th Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of ADB
- December 11, 2011 Govt, to expand banking, insurance services in northeast
- September 7, 2011 Inflation an offshoot of policies of developed countries: Pranab
- September 19, 2011 Public sector firms join hands for infrastructure financing
- March 29, 2012 Big Ticket Reform RGES: PUNCH ECONOMY BADLY …
- August 20, 2011 Fiscal consolidation needs priority, stresses PM
- March 1, 2013 GAAR with modifications from April 2016
- April 21, 2012 Mukherjee allays US fears, says India good for investment
- January 31, 2014 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram and the Fiji’s Attorney-General, Minister for Justice, Anti-Corruption, Public Enterprises, Industry, Investment, Tourism and Communications, Aiyaz Sayed-Kahiyum
- February 14, 2013 Chidambaram to discuss GST with state finance ministers
- August 7, 2012 Chidambaram hints at modifying tax norms, cut deficit
- February 17, 2014 Chidambaram set to present interim budget for next fiscal
- February 4, 2014 Interim budget may see some change in taxes: Chidambaram