Shimla, Dec 11 Worried over the environmental hazard posed by discarded and fluorescent lamps, the Himachal Pradesh government is working on a policy to make firms manufacturing and trading in them to buy back used lamps from consumers for their safe disposal.
The firms have been told to put in place a policy by Dec 27 to buy back used lamps from consumers.
“We are trying to develop a policy for safe disposal of discarded CFLs as they contain toxic mercury and, of course, they are a waste management challenge,” Additional Chief Secretary (Forest and Environment) Sudipto Roy told IANS.
He said with obsolete CFLs and fluorescent tubes finding their way into the municipal waste, there is a threat of entry of carcinogenic chemicals into the soil, water and air.
The government Friday held talks with CFL manufacturers and traders for framing guidelines in this regard.
As per government estimates, there are over one million CFLs in use in the state and the volume is increasing every year.
As part of an energy saving drive, the state launched the Atal Bijli Bachat Yojana in November 2008 in which a pack of four CFLs – two each of 15 watt and 20 watt – were provided to 1.65 million consumers free of cost.
- December 20, 2014 Shimla, Manali may get more snow from Dec 21
- October 29, 2014 Himachal sets up finance commission
- September 15, 2014 Himachal tourism to bloom due to floods in Kashmir
- July 29, 2014 SJVNL’s Q1 profit 23.61 percent
- July 29, 2014 Shimla gets Himachal’s first water-dispensing ATM
- July 29, 2014 Heavy rain in Himachal, rivers in spate
- July 10, 2014 Himachal fixes limit on stocking onions, potatoes
- July 8, 2014 Himachal’s Saach Pass reopens for motorists
- July 4, 2014 Himachal seeks price hike of houses for poor
- June 12, 2014 Himachal gets $100 million loan from World Bank
- May 23, 2014 BHEL commissions 4×130 MW Hydro-Electric Project in Himachal Pradesh
- March 18, 2014 Himachal voters want green justice
- March 5, 2014 Himachal to sign pact for setting up medical colleges
- February 22, 2014 Himachal’s 2012-13 debt is Rs.20,765 crore: CAG
- February 21, 2014 Himachal raised loans of Rs.3,445 crore last year: Virbhadra
- February 20, 2014 Himachal cancels deal with Jaiprakash Industries
- February 18, 2014 Himachal gets tough against erring investors
- February 15, 2014 Shimla, Manali get more snow
- February 15, 2014 Himachal’s hilltop shrine damaged in fire
- February 14, 2014 Head to Shimla, Manali for white Valentine’s Day
- February 10, 2014 Himachal heading for off-season vegetable boom
- January 28, 2014 Major fire in Shimla’s British-era building
- January 23, 2014 Shimla, Manali get more snowfall
- January 18, 2014 Shimla witnesses heavy snowfall
- January 18, 2014 Central industry incentives will not impact Punjab: Himachal
- January 16, 2014 Special industrial incentive for Himachal, Uttarakhand
- January 13, 2014 Rs.200 crore projects sanctioned: Himachal minister
- January 3, 2014 Himachal to develop more tourist spots: Virbhadra
- December 23, 2013 Himachal shivers as mercury dips below freezing
- December 7, 2013 Himachal court reserves judgment on polythene-packed food items