Shimla, Aug 27
To propagate trout in the natural waters of Himachal Pradesh, the state government has decided against setting up hydropower projects in the picturesque Tirthan Valley in Kullu district, an official said here Saturday.
“No hydropower project will be allowed in future in the tributaries of the Tirthan river. This will help conserving the trout,” a government spokesperson told IANS.
He said a decision in this regard was announced by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal in the state assembly Friday.
In 2004, the government imposed a complete ban on allotting hydro projects in the Tirthan river.
“Now the government has included its tributaries too under the ban as two hydropower projects working there have a negative impact on the aquatic fauna,” he said, quoting Dhumal.
The history of trout in Himachal Pradesh dates back to the colonial rule. The British introduced trout in 1909 to promote game fishing.
The trout – mainly the brown ones – is currently found in a 600 km stretch of the Beas, Sutlej and Ravi rivers in the upper Himalayas where no other fish species survive because of the extreme cold climate.
According to the fisheries department, the entire Kullu Valley offers one of the best spots for trout fishing in the Beas and its tributaries – Sarveri, Parbati, Sajoin and Phojal.
- September 15, 2014 Himachal tourism to bloom due to floods in Kashmir
- July 29, 2014 SJVNL’s Q1 profit 23.61 percent
- July 29, 2014 Shimla gets Himachal’s first water-dispensing ATM
- July 29, 2014 Heavy rain in Himachal, rivers in spate
- July 10, 2014 Himachal fixes limit on stocking onions, potatoes
- July 8, 2014 Himachal’s Saach Pass reopens for motorists
- July 4, 2014 Himachal seeks price hike of houses for poor
- June 12, 2014 Himachal gets $100 million loan from World Bank
- May 23, 2014 BHEL commissions 4×130 MW Hydro-Electric Project in Himachal Pradesh
- March 18, 2014 Himachal voters want green justice
- March 5, 2014 Himachal to sign pact for setting up medical colleges
- February 22, 2014 Himachal’s 2012-13 debt is Rs.20,765 crore: CAG
- February 21, 2014 Himachal raised loans of Rs.3,445 crore last year: Virbhadra
- February 20, 2014 Himachal cancels deal with Jaiprakash Industries
- February 18, 2014 Himachal gets tough against erring investors
- February 15, 2014 Shimla, Manali get more snow
- February 15, 2014 Himachal’s hilltop shrine damaged in fire
- February 14, 2014 Head to Shimla, Manali for white Valentine’s Day
- February 10, 2014 Himachal heading for off-season vegetable boom
- January 28, 2014 Major fire in Shimla’s British-era building
- January 23, 2014 Shimla, Manali get more snowfall
- January 18, 2014 Shimla witnesses heavy snowfall
- January 18, 2014 Central industry incentives will not impact Punjab: Himachal
- January 16, 2014 Special industrial incentive for Himachal, Uttarakhand
- January 13, 2014 Rs.200 crore projects sanctioned: Himachal minister
- January 3, 2014 Himachal to develop more tourist spots: Virbhadra
- December 23, 2013 Himachal shivers as mercury dips below freezing
- December 7, 2013 Himachal court reserves judgment on polythene-packed food items
- December 2, 2013 Himachal sanctioned Rs.2 crore for treatment of poor
- November 4, 2013 Himachal Pradesh to set up controlled atmosphere stores