New Delhi, Aug 11 Hamid Ansari took oath as India’s vice president for a second consecutive term at a ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhawan here Saturday.
Ansari was administered the oath of office by President Pranab Mukherjee at a function attended by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and several ministers, besides leaders from the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and other political parties.
Before taking oath, Ansari paid tributes to Mahatma Gandhi at Rajghat.
UPA candidate Ansari had defeated National Democratic Alliance (NDA) nominee Jaswant Singh by a margin of 252 votes in the vice presidential election Aug 7 to secure another term in office.
Ansari is the second vice president after Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan to get two successive terms.
Ansari, who has served as the country’s vice president since 2007, is a scholar and a seasoned diplomat.
A former ambassador to the United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Iran and Saudi Arabia, Ansari was also the vice chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University and chairman of the National Minorities Commission.
- President honours freedom fighters
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee with the Freedom Fighters during the ‘At Home’ function, at Rashtrapati Bhavan, in New Delhi on August 09, 2012.
- The Parliamentary delegation from Bhutan led by the Chairperson, National Council of the Royal Government of Bhutan, Namgay Penjore called on the President, Pranab Mukherjee, at Rashtrapati Bhavan, in New Delhi
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee, during the swearing-in-ceremony of the CAG of India Shashi Kant Sharma
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee, the President, Mohd. Hamid Ansari, the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh and other dignitaries at the Sarva Dharma Prarthana Sabha, at the Samadhi of former Prime Minister, Late Rajiv Gandhi
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee awarding the LPU’s 1st Honorary Doctorate Degree to the President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai
- The President, Pranab Mukherjee, The President of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai and other dignitaries at the 3rd Convocation of Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- President calls for increasing expenditure on research
- President of India attends the golden jubilee ceremony of IIFT
- ONGC secures SCOPE Gold Trophy for Corporate Social Responsibility