New Delhi, Feb 29 : India’s economy has logged its slowest pace of quarterly expansion in the recent past, with gross domestic product (GDP) rising by a mere 6.1 percent in the quarter ended December, official data showed Wednesday.
The economy had grown 8.3 percent in the previous corresponding period.
Higher interest rates, global economic turmoil rubbing off on the country and a slew of policy issues curbing investment sentiment has contributed to the economy’s dismal performance.
Manufacturing was hit hard, logging a meagre 0.4 percent growth in the quarter under review, compared to 7.8 percent in the previous corresponding period, according to data released by the ministry of statistics and programme implementation.
Mining was another sector hit badly and contracted by 3.1 percent. It had registered a growth of 6.1 percent in the Sep-Dec quarter of 2010-11.
Agriculture also saw a sharp decline at 2.7 percent but that was mostly because of a high base as the sector had grown 11 percent in the year-ago period.
The GDP is expected to increase by only 6.9 percent for the whole year.
- August 30, 2014 In signs of revival, Indian economy expands 5.7 percent
- June 11, 2014 India set to grow at 5.5 percent: World Bank
- March 25, 2014 Russia’s largest bank warns of recession risk
- February 8, 2014 Indian economy to grow at 4.9 percent in 2013-14
- December 26, 2013 Indian economy logged lowest growth in a decade
- December 11, 2013 No compromise on fiscal consolidation: Chidambaram
- December 2, 2013 India’s current account deficit falls to $5.2 billion in Q2
- November 19, 2013 China to update national economy accounting system
- October 24, 2013 Mobile economy to add $400 billion to India GDP: GSMA
- October 17, 2013 World Bank cuts India’s growth forecast to 4.7 percent
- September 28, 2013 Oil subsidy, rupee may push fiscal deficit above 5 percent
- August 30, 2013 Rupee slide a concern, but no capital controls: PM
- August 30, 2013 US economy grows 2.5 percent in second quarter
- May 31, 2013 Indian economy grew 5 percent in 2012-13
- May 29, 2013 India’s current account deficit may dip to 4.5 percent: ICRA
- January 28, 2013 Indian economy to grow at 5.5 percent in 2012-13: Ansari
- December 28, 2012 Policy implementation key to 12th Plan goals: Ahluwalia
- May 28, 2012 Direct taxes should be 12 percent of GDP: Mukherjee
- January 31, 2012 India revises down economic growth to 8.4 percent for 2010-11
- January 17, 2012 Indian economy to grow 7.7 percent in 2012: UN
- August 1, 2014 India’s April-June fiscal deficit at $49.2 billion
- June 18, 2014 Rationalising Subsidies: MODI’s FIRST LITMUS TEST…
- May 1, 2014 India’s GDP growth may rise to 6 percent in 2014-15: Chidambaram
- April 2, 2014 Most Indians rooting for change, Modi: US survey
- April 1, 2014 New CII Chief Ajay S Shriram Outlines 100-day Agenda for New Govt.
- March 20, 2014 Slovenia having positive changes in curbing crisis: PM
- February 13, 2014 ‘Rule of law must for promoting Indo-US business, trade’
- February 7, 2014 India’s GDP to grow at 5.6 percent in 2014-15
- December 25, 2013 France confirms negative economic growth in third quarter
- November 30, 2013 Industry welcomes economic recovery