Pretoria, Oct 18
India, Brazil and South Africa must be proactive in finding solutions to revive the global economy as developing countries cannot be a mute spectator to the slowdown in Europe and the developed world, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here Tuesday.
Addressing the plenary of the IBSA (India-Brazil-South Africa) summit, Manmohan Singh said the debt crisis in Europe and the financial slowdown in the developed world, notably the US and Japan, were sending negative signals to the world’s financial markets, which are showing signs of distress.
“Developing countries cannot remain untouched by the negative impacts of these developments. Their ability to address the developmental challenges have been adversely affected,” the prime minister said at the summit that brings together the emerging democracies of Asia, Africa and Latin America.
He said the G20 grouping of developed and emerging economies, in which IBSA countries are also members, has played an important role in the reform of international monetary and financial institutions.
“We should coordinate our positions in the run-up to the G20 summit in France to ensure that the priorities of developing economies are adequately reflected,” he said ahead of the G20 summit in Cannes early November.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff and South African President Jacon Zuma were also present.
- October 16, 2011 PM leaves Monday for 5th IBSA Summit in Pretoria
- October 18, 2011 India, Brazil, South Africa push for Security Council expansion
- April 10, 2013 Manmohan Singh to seek German support for India-EU trade deal
- April 10, 2013 Manmohan Singh arrives in Berlin on three-day visit
- September 17, 2011 G4 to meet on UN reforms in New York
- November 14, 2012 PM postpones trip to Japan, Cambodia visit on
- September 17, 2011 India to raise economic crisis at UN, seek inclusive growth
- November 19, 2012 Manmohan meets Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao
- December 26, 2011 India, Japan to discuss reviving n-cooperation talks
- September 20, 2011 PM to leave for UN meet Sep 21
- December 7, 2011 India, Russia to focus on n-energy, defence during summit
- September 24, 2011 India calls for UN reforms, unrelenting war against terror
- March 24, 2013 Manmohan Singh to attend Durban BRICS Summit
- September 17, 2011 India to push for global counter-terrorism convention at UN
- January 31, 2013 PM for transparent regimes to ensure sustainable development
- April 6, 2013 Economic development must be environmentally sustainable: PM
- October 7, 2011 PM assures highest safety for Kudankulam, seeks Jayalalithaa’s support
- February 26, 2014 PM to attend BIMSTEC summit on economic cooperation
- September 24, 2011 Manmohan Singh to visit Iran
- September 18, 2012 India offers Burundi $40 million, sign pacts
- August 25, 2012 PM heads for Tehran NAM summit, meeting with Ahmadinejad
- November 19, 2011 Economic downturn lends urgency to India-ASEAN partnership: PM Manmohan Singh
- November 19, 2011 PM and Gillard meet, discuss sale of uranium
- December 15, 2012 PM Manmohan Singh promises more policy reforms for growth
- February 20, 2012 All time record in farm production: PM
- December 31, 2011 PM’s New Year message: Be patient, we shall overcome
- April 2, 2014 India committed to non-proliferation: Manmohan
- February 26, 2012 Indian scientists give high marks to Manmohan Singh
- October 29, 2012 UPA II’s new look team gets down to work
- July 18, 2012 Ansari files nomination for vice president