New Delhi, Nov 18 The draft National Telecom Policy (NTP) hints at a progressive policy that can propel the Indian telecom sector to new heights of growth, audit and research firm KPMG said Friday.
“The draft policy is a step forward to create a win-win ecosystem where the utmost beneficiary is the subscriber. A detailed policy framework with a longer-term view will help foster balanced growth and competition in the sector,” said KPMG in its telecom report with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
“The industry takes immense pride and satisfaction in deliberating on the draft policy to help push the vision of providing the people of India with high quality, reliable and affordable converged telecommunications services,” it added.
Communications Minister Kapil Sibal had unveiled the draft of the National Telecom Policy (NTP) 2011 in October which proposes to remove roaming charges for subscribers within the country, exponentially increase broadband availability and speed and allow for mobile numbers to be ported to any part of the country.
It also proposes to accord the telecom industry the status of an infrastructure sector, which will help ease credit flow to companies for funding roll-out plans or expansion activities.
The policy is scheduled to be unveiled in January.
Speaking about the industry expectation KPMG said the industry is perceiving the draft as forward looking and directionally encouraging but is keenly awaiting details on time-lines and manner of implementation.
The industry also expects the government of India to consider according “critical infrastructure” status to active and passive infrastructure in the telecommunications and broadband sector and clear outline on the migration of existing licenses and spectrum to the new licensing framework.
- September 12, 2013 Traders to hone IT skills
- January 9, 2012 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability
- November 28, 2011 Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms
- November 28, 2011 Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT
- November 10, 2011 4G services: TRAI extends time for sending views
- September 21, 2011 ‘Spectrum could have been auctioned if Chidambaram wanted’
- August 30, 2011 Telecom revolution has bypassed villagers: Sibal
- August 11, 2011 MTNL, BSNL merger proposal being examined
- September 20, 2013 Curbing Rape: SOS TO GOVT & SOCIETY…
- August 8, 2012 Chidambaram’s efforts will help revive growth: FICCI
- November 5, 2013 President Mukherjee on two-day Hyderabad visit
- August 6, 2013 The Minister for Railways, Mallikarjun Kharge at the inauguration of the 79th Railway Athletics Championship – 2013
- August 28, 2014 RBI launches survey of IT, ITES, BPO sectors
- November 2, 2013 Wrong oil pricing, policy causing inflation: Jayalalithaa
- December 14, 2013 Mobile number portability requests up 2.3 mn in October: TRAI
- January 10, 2014 The President, Pranab Mukherjee with the awardees of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman, at the Valedictory Session of the 12th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas ‘Engaging Diaspora Connecting Across Generation’
- March 5, 2014 Coming Elections: STABLE GOVERNMENT DOUBTFUL …
- September 13, 2013 Muzaffarnagar peaceful, death toll climbs to 43
- July 5, 2014 No hike of LPG, kerosene prices : Petroleum Ministry
- October 18, 2013 Growing US, India ties in films and sports industries
- March 19, 2013 India’s central bank cuts interest rates marginally
- March 29, 2014 Russia to put its stamp on Goa international tourism event
- April 26, 2014 Poll official suspended in Odisha
- September 5, 2013 RTI amendment bill referred to parliamentary panel
- May 25, 2012 CMD (Incharge) of NMDC, N.K. Nanda and the CMD of RINL, A.P. Choudhary exchanging the signed documents of an MoU
- March 18, 2014 Congress likely to name Delhi candidates Tuesday
- May 2, 2012 Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Dr. Zalmai Rassoul calling on the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, in New Delhi on May 01, 2012.
- July 18, 2014 Obama, Putin discussed downed Malaysian plane : White House
- September 1, 2014 The Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Akihiro Ohta calls on the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi
- February 7, 2014 Cabinet approves Vodafone’s Rs.10,141 crore FDI proposal