New Delhi, Nov 18 The draft National Telecom Policy (NTP) hints at a progressive policy that can propel the Indian telecom sector to new heights of growth, audit and research firm KPMG said Friday.
“The draft policy is a step forward to create a win-win ecosystem where the utmost beneficiary is the subscriber. A detailed policy framework with a longer-term view will help foster balanced growth and competition in the sector,” said KPMG in its telecom report with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
“The industry takes immense pride and satisfaction in deliberating on the draft policy to help push the vision of providing the people of India with high quality, reliable and affordable converged telecommunications services,” it added.
Communications Minister Kapil Sibal had unveiled the draft of the National Telecom Policy (NTP) 2011 in October which proposes to remove roaming charges for subscribers within the country, exponentially increase broadband availability and speed and allow for mobile numbers to be ported to any part of the country.
It also proposes to accord the telecom industry the status of an infrastructure sector, which will help ease credit flow to companies for funding roll-out plans or expansion activities.
The policy is scheduled to be unveiled in January.
Speaking about the industry expectation KPMG said the industry is perceiving the draft as forward looking and directionally encouraging but is keenly awaiting details on time-lines and manner of implementation.
The industry also expects the government of India to consider according “critical infrastructure” status to active and passive infrastructure in the telecommunications and broadband sector and clear outline on the migration of existing licenses and spectrum to the new licensing framework.
- September 12, 2013 Traders to hone IT skills
- January 9, 2012 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability
- November 28, 2011 Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms
- November 28, 2011 Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT
- November 10, 2011 4G services: TRAI extends time for sending views
- September 21, 2011 ‘Spectrum could have been auctioned if Chidambaram wanted’
- August 30, 2011 Telecom revolution has bypassed villagers: Sibal
- August 11, 2011 MTNL, BSNL merger proposal being examined
- October 2, 2013 Canada boosts support for Somalia security
- March 24, 2014 AirAsia India gets its first aircraft
- September 2, 2014 The Governor of Aichi Prefecture, Hideaki Ohmura calls on the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, in Tokyo, Japan
- April 6, 2011 R P N Singh visits LPG plant in Indonesia
- October 19, 2013 Mumbai gets India’s tallest ATC tower
- August 7, 2014 ONGC mines 6 medals for India from Commonwealth
- October 30, 2013 Pushpa Kamath, President, PNB Prerna distriubuting the prize to the stall holders winners.
- April 6, 2012 ‘Educated Asian Americans more likely to be jobless’
- October 29, 2013 Mulayam begins party’s campaign with Azamgarh rally
- August 11, 2011 George Bush fascinated by rich Chinese culture
- June 21, 2012 Air India to reactivate east Asia routes, plans operational rebound
- January 16, 2014 HC reserves verdict on nursery admission guidelines
- July 17, 2013 Six injured in Srinagar grenade attack
- April 13, 2013 US visa over-subscription may impact Infosys at onsite
- March 18, 2013 The Minister of State for Railways, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury laying the foundation stone of a Road Overbridge
- February 5, 2014 Isuzu Motors To Invest US $ 500 Mln in India
- September 30, 2011 POWERGRID Commissions Mundra UMPP Transmission System
- August 21, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee and other dignitaries at a prayer meeting, at the Samadhi of former PM, late Rajiv Gandhi.
- January 31, 2014 Millennium Depot’s relocation should not affect public: HC
- April 17, 2013 The Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, the United States Secretary of Energy, Dr. Steven Chu and the Energy Minister of South Africa, Elizabeth Dipuo Peters
- September 14, 2012 Aviation stocks rally on CCEA meet clearing FDI in airlines
- September 11, 2011 DMRC to build children’s home for girls