New Delhi, Nov 18 The draft National Telecom Policy (NTP) hints at a progressive policy that can propel the Indian telecom sector to new heights of growth, audit and research firm KPMG said Friday.
“The draft policy is a step forward to create a win-win ecosystem where the utmost beneficiary is the subscriber. A detailed policy framework with a longer-term view will help foster balanced growth and competition in the sector,” said KPMG in its telecom report with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
“The industry takes immense pride and satisfaction in deliberating on the draft policy to help push the vision of providing the people of India with high quality, reliable and affordable converged telecommunications services,” it added.
Communications Minister Kapil Sibal had unveiled the draft of the National Telecom Policy (NTP) 2011 in October which proposes to remove roaming charges for subscribers within the country, exponentially increase broadband availability and speed and allow for mobile numbers to be ported to any part of the country.
It also proposes to accord the telecom industry the status of an infrastructure sector, which will help ease credit flow to companies for funding roll-out plans or expansion activities.
The policy is scheduled to be unveiled in January.
Speaking about the industry expectation KPMG said the industry is perceiving the draft as forward looking and directionally encouraging but is keenly awaiting details on time-lines and manner of implementation.
The industry also expects the government of India to consider according “critical infrastructure” status to active and passive infrastructure in the telecommunications and broadband sector and clear outline on the migration of existing licenses and spectrum to the new licensing framework.
- September 12, 2013 Traders to hone IT skills
- January 9, 2012 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability
- November 28, 2011 Telecom panel to meet again on mergers, license norms
- November 28, 2011 Final decision on 3G roaming after meeting operators: DoT
- November 10, 2011 4G services: TRAI extends time for sending views
- September 21, 2011 ‘Spectrum could have been auctioned if Chidambaram wanted’
- August 30, 2011 Telecom revolution has bypassed villagers: Sibal
- August 11, 2011 MTNL, BSNL merger proposal being examined
- July 24, 2014 CWG opening ceremony full of Scottish flavour
- November 6, 2014 India, Russia agree to boost economic and trade ties
- November 21, 2013 The Ambassador of India to Vietnam, Preeti Saran and the Deputy Minister for Public Security, Vietnam, Lieutenant General Le Quy Vuong signing an MoU for setting up of the Indira Gandhi Hightech Crime Lab
- October 12, 2014 A view of Cyclone Hudhud with heavy rain fall at outer Harbour, North of Visakhapatnam on October 12, 2014.
- April 2, 2014 India committed to non-proliferation: Manmohan
- October 8, 2014 Modi government moves swiftly to fulfil promises to diaspora
- February 13, 2014 Power sector should gear up for new challenges
- January 2, 2014 President gives assent to Lokpal Bill
- November 18, 2013 Exclude petroleum products, alcohol, entry tax from GST: Panel
- July 14, 2014 Communal clash in Jammu, Srinagar highway blocked briefly
- March 26, 2014 North Korea fires two missiles: South Korea
- November 7, 2014 Goa’s new CM Saturday: Parrikar
- February 25, 2013 BHEL has bagged the Gold Award under the National Awards for e-Governance 2012-13.
- April 12, 2014 Presidents presents Akademi awards
- October 29, 2014 Vedanta to get mines in 3-4 months: Agrawal
- January 7, 2013 B. Prasada Rao, CMD, BHEL felicitating Praful Patel, Minister of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises, on the occasion of BHEL’s Foundation Day at a function organised in New Delhi.
- October 16, 2014 Canadian MoU gives boost to Modi’s Clean Ganga project
- December 5, 2013 FM warns tax defaulters of stringent action
- March 5, 2012 Earthquake of intensity 4.9 rocks Delhi, NCR
- November 5, 2014 The Minister for Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Parliamentary Affairs, M. Venkaiah Naidu meeting the Minister of Roads and Urban Development, Iran, Abbas Akhoundi
- October 22, 2014 Gold is glittering this Dhanteras
- September 21, 2013 Rajnath Singh calls off Muzaffarnagar visit