Dhaka, Sep 4
A high-profile Indian business delegation comprising Airtel chief Sunil Bharti Mittal, RPG Group chairman Harsh Goenka and Tata Steel vice-chairman B. Muthuraman will arrive in Dhaka early next month to look for investment opportunities, a media report said Sunday.
The three members of the seven-member delegation have already confirmed their visit, said Abdul Matlub Ahmad, president of the India-Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
“We are communicating with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) to get the assurance about the four others, mainly the policymakers,” he told The Daily Star.
The chamber is also trying to invite a top representative from India’s infrastructure giant Reliance Group.
“Our aim is to ensure visits of high profile people from large infrastructure firms of India as we need large investment for our infrastructure development,” he said.
“We have proposed that they invest here through joint ventures with Bangladesh partners,” the newspaper quoted him as saying.
The schedule of their trip will be fixed after Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Dhaka visit Sep 6-7, he said.
“We are rather trying to arrange a meeting between five chief ministers of India and the leaders of our top chambers and associations during Manmohan’s visit,” Ahmad said.
Chief ministers of West Bengal, Assam, Tripura, Meghalaya and Mizoram will come to Dhaka with Manmohan, he said.
“These are our bordering states. Through talks with the Indian chief ministers our business leaders will know about the facilities the states can provide to Bangladesh,” he added.
India is the second largest trading partner of Bangladesh. In fiscal 2009-10, Bangladesh’s imports from India were worth $3.21 billion.
- September 6, 2011 Manmohan Singh arrives in Dhaka
- August 30, 2011 Manmohan’s Dhaka visit: Transit, ports, border key issues
- March 4, 2014 Bangladesh wants more water accords with India
- May 10, 2012 India, Bangladesh to ease travel on Maitree Express
- March 4, 2013 The Prime Minster of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina calling on the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee
- December 12, 2012 Power Grid put up an Exhibition stall in “The India Show” at Dhaka in Bangladesh organized by FICCI
- March 4, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee being welcomed by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman
- March 6, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee being presented the Bangladesh Liberation War Honour by the President of Bangladesh, Md. Zillur Rahman,
- August 19, 2011 Bangladesh signs rail restoration deal with Indian firm
- January 28, 2013 India, Bangladesh to ink extradition treaty, visa pact
- August 29, 2011 Indian national security advisor visits Dhaka
- September 5, 2011 `Manmohan’s trip to be turning point in Delhi-Dhaka ties’
- March 18, 2013 Bangla Spring: WILL INDIA GAIN?….
- September 8, 2011 PM’s Dhaka visit: Teesta didn’t happen, but a lot else did
- September 28, 2011 PM seeks Mamata’s help to sign Teesta pact with Bangladesh
- June 11, 2012 India, Bangladesh start joint study to boost border trade
- January 19, 2012 Tripura welcomes investment from Bangladesh: Chief Minister
- April 22, 2014 Hero MotoCorp enters Bangladesh
- May 8, 2012 India, Bangladesh to improve trade facilities along border
- July 24, 2014 Government says no gas from KG-D6 going to Bangladesh
- September 7, 2011 India, Bangladesh agree on new architecture for partnership
- March 4, 2013 The President, Pranab Mukherjee laying wreath at National Martyr’s Memorial, at Savar, Dhaka on March 03, 2013.
- June 15, 2013 Krishna Tirath to Participate in the Tenth Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers’ Meeting, Dhaka
- January 30, 2014 India, Bangladesh heading for exciting beginning: Envoy
- December 31, 2013 Bangladesh opposition’s senior leader held over violence
- May 9, 2012 Foreign Minister, Bangladesh, Dr. Dipu Moni meeting the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, in New Delhi
- November 21, 2011 Bangladesh reaffirms ‘zero tolerance’ for anti-India activities
- June 3, 2013 ‘India, Bangladesh should join hands to manage floods’
- July 14, 2014 India, Bangladesh can supply shopping bags to the world: Jute Commissioner
- May 21, 2014 India, Bangladesh set up border markets