New Delhi, Aug 16
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal blamed the opposition for the disruption of parliament Tuesday.
“We told them if you let the Lok Sabha run for an hour, we were ready for a discussion on Anna Hazare’s arrest at noon. They could have let the question hour run,” Bansal told reporters.
“Whatever they said about Home Minister P. Chidambaram’s reply to the statement by Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj, they should have said inside the house,” he said in reply to a query.
Bansal denied the opposition charge that he was defying Speaker Meira Kumar’s ruling allowing the leader of the opposition to make a statement before the question hour.
“I did not say about the speaker’s ruling. We can request the speaker to allow the government to respond to the observation of the leader of the opposition,” he added.
Swaraj could not speak as members of the Lok Sabha, including those from the treasury benches, made noises and disrupted the house proceedings. The BJP members too stood up at their seats and started shouting.
Swaraj requested the speaker twice to set the house in order before she could speak.
- The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, and other dignitaries paid floral tributes to the former President, Late Dr. Rajendra Prasad on the occasion of his 128th birth anniversary
- Chairperson, UPA, Sonia Gandhi and other dignitaries paid tributes to Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore on his Birth Anniversary
- Speaker, Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar addressing the 7th meeting of Women Speakers of Parliament on Gender Sensitive Parliaments
- Dignitaries at a prayer meeting, at the Samadhi of former Prime Minister, late Shri Rajiv Gandhi, on his 68th birth anniversary, at Vir Bhoomi, in Delhi on August 20, 2012.
- The Speaker, Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar lighting the lamp at the 60th Nehru Trophy Boat Race, known as “Kuttanad’s Olympics on Water”
- President, Pratibha Devisingh Patil releasing the coins in denominations of Rs.5/- and Rs.10/-, at the function to mark the 60th anniversary of the first sitting of the Parliament of India
- Speaker, Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar with visiting Indian Parliamentary delegation calls on the PM of Pakistan, Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani, in Islamabad
- SC order against quotas in promotions rocks parliament
- Speaker, Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar, at the inauguration of the workshop on “Water Conservation and Management -with Special Reference to River Ganga”
- Speaker, Lok Sabha, Meira Kumar at the ceremony of laying wreath at the Monument in the memory of National Heroes, at Asuncion, Paraguay