New Delhi, Aug 23
The government has told banks to open branches in over 43,000 new rural locations during the current financial year that would bring all habitations with population of over 2,000 under banking net, parliament has been told.
Nearly 73,000 habitations, having population of more then 2,000 (as per 2001 census), were identified by the government. Of these, 29,569 were covered under the banking net in the last financial year, Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena said.
The remaining will be covered by March 2012, Meena said in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha last week.
The government has identified the locations and allocated a certain number to public sector banks, regional rural banks, private sector banks and cooperative banks to provide the banking services.
The minister said as of March 31, 2011, the total number of commercial bank branches in the country were 89,396.
Of these, 33,463 or 37.4 percent bank branches are in rural areas, 22,526 or 25.2 percent in semi-urban areas, 17,676 or 19.8 percent in urban areas, and 15,731 or 17.6 percent are in metropolitan areas, according to the Reserve Bank of India data.
All India average population per branch in India was 13,503 as on March 31, 2011.
- The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding a meeting with the CMD/CEOs of Public Sector Banks
- Public sector banks’ NPAs rise to 2.31 percent
- Inflation will ease in 2011-12′s second half: Minister
- PNB Pays 418.61 cr Dividend to GoI
- Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram at a meeting with the Chief Ministers of North Zone States/UTs and CMDs of Public Sector Banks/FIs, in New Delhi on November 16, 2012.
- Bihar’s per capita income lowest, Delhi’s highest
- Namo Narain Meena, Minister of State for Finance at a function organised by the State Level Financial Institutions (SLFIs)
- Minister of State for Finance, Namo Narain Meena and the Minister of Transportation and Acting Chief Executive of Economic Development Board of Bahrain, Kamal Ahmed
- The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding the Quarterly Performance Review meeting with CEOs of PSB and FIIs,
- Punjab National Bank launches in Australia
- Public sector banks to hire 63,200 people this year: Chidambaram
- The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding a Quarterly Performance Review Meeting with the Chief Executive Officers
- The Union Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee addressing the Chief Executive Officers of Public Sector Banks and Financial Institutions, in New Delhi on June 12, 2012.
- LIC market share rises to 77 percent in 2010-11
- The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram arrives Parliament House to present the Interim Budget 2014-15, in New Delhi on Feb 17, 2014.
- The Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram presenting certificate, at the International Customs Day 2014, in New Delhi.
- The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding the pre-Budget consultations with the Finance Ministers of all States and UT’s
- The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram departs from North Block to Parliament House to present the General Budget 2013-14.
- K.R.Kamath, CMD, PNB presenting the Dividend to Minister of State for Finance, Namo Narain Meena
- India, Switzerland to amend tax agreement soon
- Minister for Human Resource Development and Communications and Information Technology, Kapil Sibal releasing a commemorative Postage Stamp
- Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram at the inauguration of the Conference of Chief Commissioners/DGs of Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax, in New Delhi on August 28, 2012.
- Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram lighting the lamp to inaugurate the Conference of Chief Commissioners & DGs of Income Tax, in New Delhi on September 03, 2012.
- Chidambaram set to present interim budget for next fiscal
- Exim Bank signs $25 mn LoC for Niger drinking water scheme
- HDFC reaches out to rural Goa
- Split CEO, chairman posts in banks: RBI governor
- India amending double taxation avoidance accord: Pranab
- Delhi Police gets Rs.4,630 crore for upgrading force
- Bihar to pay MGNREGA wages through banks