New Delhi, Aug 23
The government has told banks to open branches in over 43,000 new rural locations during the current financial year that would bring all habitations with population of over 2,000 under banking net, parliament has been told.
Nearly 73,000 habitations, having population of more then 2,000 (as per 2001 census), were identified by the government. Of these, 29,569 were covered under the banking net in the last financial year, Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena said.
The remaining will be covered by March 2012, Meena said in a written reply to a question in the Lok Sabha last week.
The government has identified the locations and allocated a certain number to public sector banks, regional rural banks, private sector banks and cooperative banks to provide the banking services.
The minister said as of March 31, 2011, the total number of commercial bank branches in the country were 89,396.
Of these, 33,463 or 37.4 percent bank branches are in rural areas, 22,526 or 25.2 percent in semi-urban areas, 17,676 or 19.8 percent in urban areas, and 15,731 or 17.6 percent are in metropolitan areas, according to the Reserve Bank of India data.
All India average population per branch in India was 13,503 as on March 31, 2011.
- July 3, 2013 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding a meeting with the CMD/CEOs of Public Sector Banks
- August 17, 2011 Public sector banks’ NPAs rise to 2.31 percent
- August 24, 2011 Inflation will ease in 2011-12′s second half: Minister
- May 13, 2014 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding the annual Performance Review meeting with the Chief Executive Officers
- July 25, 2012 PNB Pays 418.61 cr Dividend to GoI
- November 16, 2012 Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram at a meeting with the Chief Ministers of North Zone States/UTs and CMDs of Public Sector Banks/FIs, in New Delhi on November 16, 2012.
- August 23, 2011 Bihar’s per capita income lowest, Delhi’s highest
- February 16, 2013 Namo Narain Meena, Minister of State for Finance at a function organised by the State Level Financial Institutions (SLFIs)
- June 2, 2012 Minister of State for Finance, Namo Narain Meena and the Minister of Transportation and Acting Chief Executive of Economic Development Board of Bahrain, Kamal Ahmed
- March 18, 2013 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding the Quarterly Performance Review meeting with CEOs of PSB and FIIs,
- September 16, 2011 Punjab National Bank launches in Australia
- November 16, 2012 Public sector banks to hire 63,200 people this year: Chidambaram
- March 5, 2014 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding a Quarterly Performance Review Meeting with the Chief Executive Officers
- June 12, 2012 The Union Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee addressing the Chief Executive Officers of Public Sector Banks and Financial Institutions, in New Delhi on June 12, 2012.
- January 16, 2013 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram holding the pre-Budget consultations with the Finance Ministers of all States and UT’s
- February 17, 2014 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram arrives Parliament House to present the Interim Budget 2014-15, in New Delhi on Feb 17, 2014.
- January 27, 2014 The Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram presenting certificate, at the International Customs Day 2014, in New Delhi.
- February 28, 2013 The Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram departs from North Block to Parliament House to present the General Budget 2013-14.
- August 16, 2011 LIC market share rises to 77 percent in 2010-11
- July 25, 2012 K.R.Kamath, CMD, PNB presenting the Dividend to Minister of State for Finance, Namo Narain Meena
- August 24, 2011 India, Switzerland to amend tax agreement soon
- February 17, 2014 Chidambaram set to present interim budget for next fiscal
- August 28, 2012 Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram at the inauguration of the Conference of Chief Commissioners/DGs of Customs, Central Excise and Service Tax, in New Delhi on August 28, 2012.
- July 27, 2012 Minister for Human Resource Development and Communications and Information Technology, Kapil Sibal releasing a commemorative Postage Stamp
- September 3, 2012 Union Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram lighting the lamp to inaugurate the Conference of Chief Commissioners & DGs of Income Tax, in New Delhi on September 03, 2012.
- March 15, 2014 Exim Bank signs $25 mn LoC for Niger drinking water scheme
- August 5, 2013 HDFC reaches out to rural Goa
- August 23, 2011 Split CEO, chairman posts in banks: RBI governor
- August 19, 2011 India amending double taxation avoidance accord: Pranab
- November 28, 2012 Bihar to pay MGNREGA wages through banks